In a very simple manner we present “how a typical solar power system works”.
Let’s go there…
Converts radiation from the sun to electricity (direct current or DC).
The major factors that determine the daily production of a panel are:
1. The intensity of the sun.
2. The efficiency of the panel purchased
3. The angle/direction of the panel when installing.
4. The temperature of the panels when in the sun.
Solar Charge Controller:
Regulates electricity flowing from the panels and pushes it to the batteries.
The major factors to consider here are:
1. The capacity of the controller.
2. The technology – MPPT or PWM.
3. The efficiency. This ranges from 50% to 98%. The higher the better the more expensive sha.
Stores power generated by the panels as energy to be used immediately or later when needed.
It’s major factors are:
1. The capacity
2. The technology – Flooded, sealed, GEL, AGM, Li-ion etc.
3. Cell rating & depth of discharge.
This is the power house of the setup. It converts the energy stored in the batteries from DC to AC current that we use to power household appliances.
Determining points to consider:
1. Capacity – 1kVA, 2kVA,….or 30kVA
2. The technology – Modified or PureSine, Low or High frequency et al.
3. It’s efficiency
The covers all the items you intend to power with the system.
It includes but not limited to Television, decoders, radio, fans, blenders, irons, video players, laptops, phones et al.
Factors to ponder too…
1. Usage habits
2. Energy efficiency